Thursday, March 5, 2009

Where Should I Study?

Okay so I have been thinking about going back to my old university to finish my degree......

But first a little history:
I originally started at Baldwin Wallace College majoring in History and English. Afraid that I was not going to be able to find a job after graduation and due to the fact that my fiance was also transferring, I transferred to Ohio University last fall as a freshman. I also really wanted to be able to learn Japanese, one of the few languages not offered at Baldwin Wallace. As of right now I am majoring in East Asian Studies and minoring in Japanese.

The downsides of Ohio University:
-It is located over three hours from my house so I normally do not get to go home until after the quarter is over, which is three months
-I do not have a car on campus, so I am not able to leave and go anywhere
-The people here generally are not people I would normally surround myself with
-The class size is ridiculous, some of my classes have about 200 people in them
-Due to the large class size it is extremely difficult to get to know the professors on a personal basis
-The campus is huge, and the only way to get uptown is by walking up a very steep and long hill
The positive things of Ohio University:
-They offer Japanese
-I would be able to study abroad in Japan
-My Japanese professor is adorable
-My fiance also attends Ohio University

The downsides of Baldwin Wallace:
-Since I have already left I do not think I would be able to rejoin my sorority
-My old roommate transferred out this year
-It is more expensive than Ohio University
-They do not offer Japanese
-I do not know if their program to study abroad in Japan is any good
-Transferring back may put me behind and I may not graduate on time
-My fiance does not know if he is also going to transfer to a school closer to home
The positive things of Baldwin Wallace:
-My old advisor and history professor is absolutely amazing and I really miss her classes
-I would be able to live at home and commute to school
-Since I would be living at home I would get to see my family everyday; my grandparents are starting to get old and I want to spend as much time with them as possible
-We are getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks
-I would be able to get a job in a daycare
-I would be able to see my friends more

As you can see there are many benefits to attending both schools, which is why I am having such a hard time deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment